Few things tantalize the taste buds as wells as crispy, golden French fries. Potatoes in general are versatile, tasty, and filling. Unfortunately, though, with my young kids, I’ve found they are sometimes absolutely terrified of traditional mashed potatoes. I don’t get it! It’s complete comfort food! So, getting a little creative, I’ve decided to take it a step further to make fried mashed potatoes.
This delicious alternative works very well and it’s a super simple way to use up some leftovers. I prefer my friend mashed potatoes with a little meat mixed in, like juicy corned beef or a triple crown breakfast meat mix. So, that’s how I’m going to share this recipe with you guys. (You can, of course, leave out the meat if you prefer. No hard feelings!)
Fried mashed potatoes, if you’ve never had them, can be an exciting way to spice up your regularly scheduled menu rotations. Try them with meat for breakfast, or with cheddar and bacon for a yummy side dish alongside your steaks.
Doing my homework, I’ve seen others make them as mini mashed potato pancakes or as battered, fried balls. I see them more as a hash brown style option, frying them up on the bottom of an oiled pan along with their fillings.
Scrumptious Combinations for Fried Mashed Potatoes
The beautiful thing about making your own fried mashed potatoes is that you can add mix-ins to your heart’s content. You can match the mashed to any meal, quickly and easily.
- You can try them with bacon and cheese one day.
- Then you can try them with corned beef another, in the style of corned beef hash.
- Then you can try with onions and peppers if you like.
- You can make them for lunch or dinner and serve with leftover gravy.
Your fried mashed potato possibilities are endless!
I find a good skillet or frying pan makes all the difference in my fried mashed potatoes and corned beef hash.
Fried Mashed Potatoes
- 1 tbsp oil Coat the bottom of your frying pan.
- 2 cups leftover mashed potatoes
- 1/2 cup shredded cheese (optional, to taste)
- 1/4 cup bacon bits or other meat (optional, to taste)
- Heat a frying pan to medium heat with a little oil.
- In a small bowl, mix together mashed potatoes and mix-ins - cheese, bacon bits, meat, etc. (Mix ratio to your liking. Measurements above are suggestions.)
- Scoop mashed potato mixture into the frying pan.
- Press the potatoes down into the hot oil.
- Fry for 3 to 5 minutes until golden brown on the bottom side. Monitor closely to avoid burning.
- Use a spatula to flip the fried mashed potatoes over to the other side.
- Fry for another 3 to 5 minutes, checking constantly to avoid burning.
- Scoop out of the pan and onto a plate or serving dish. Enjoy!
If you like this recipe, you might also enjoy our post on Breakfast for Dinner Ideas! Such a fun and easy change of pace.